Is there anything as delicious as a fresh, homemade chicken piccata? The bright flavors that surge in through the capers are enough to make anyone’s mouth water. Admittedly, chicken piccata isn’t the easiest recipe to make, it can be a bit time consuming, but it’s absolutely worth it. To make this family favorite, chicken cutlets are pounded flat and then dipped into egg, then a flour mixture, to give them a crispy coating after being sauteed in butter until they’re golden brown on both sides.
After the cutlets have been made, a sauce is prepared to go with it. The easy sauce includes chicken stock, lemon juice, white wine and chicken broth that have all been brought to a boil in a pan. Once chicken broth and lemon juice have been added, the liquid is allowed to reduce, extra chicken piccata sauce is served along with the chicken and can be added as desired.
Chicken Piccata Recipe: Ingredients List
– 4 chicken cutlets (6 ounces each)
– 2 tablespoons flour, or as needed
– salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste; divided use
– 1/2 cup chicken broth
– 1/4 cup chicken stock
– 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
– 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed well under water
– 1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
Recipe: Directions for the delicious dish
– Pound chicken cutlets to about 1/4 inch thickness.
– Season chicken with salt and pepper, as desired
– Combine flour and chicken broth in a small bowl and mix well.
– Transfer chicken into the batter and coat on both sides. Drain off excess chicken piccata batter, discarding leftover chicken piccata batter.
– In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon chicken piccata butter.
– Add chicken to the pan and cook until chicken is browned on both sides, about 3 – 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm.
– Discard the butter from the pan and add chicken stock, chicken broth and lemon juice to chicken piccata pan. Bring chicken broth mixture up to a boil and cook until reduced by half, about 8 – 10 minutes.
– Remove chicken broth sauce from your pan and pour into the serving sauce.
– Reduce sauce until it thickens, about 5 minutes.
– Add butter one tablespoon at a time and whisk sauce mixture rapidly to emulsify.
– Spoon chicken broth chicken sauce over chicken cutlets and top chicken cutlets with sauce, chicken broth and butter.
– Garnish the dish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with chicken piccata pasta or chicken piccata rice pilaf.
Recipe: Additional Notes
– White wine can be used instead of chicken broth in the sauce, if desired.
– Some people use flour or cornstarch, but all purpose flour works best, in my opinion.
Using Environmentally Friendly Ingredients
Using pasture-raised chickens should be something we all strive towards. Not only does it have a better taste, but it is more humane. It’s even better for the environment and our bodies. Many local farmers markets carry chicken that is farm-raised without the hormones and antibiotics.
Many of these hens end up spending the majority of their day being naturally stimulated by their surroundings, gaining quality nutrition from the bugs and worms that they find in the fields they roam. Furthermore, I’m a firm believer that happy chickens simply taste better.
Servings and Nutrition
One chicken is good for about four people. Plus, chicken piccata is a relatively healthy, medium calorie meal that everyone will enjoy!
Make chicken piccata tonight and see what you think. You can always tweak the recipe to your own personal tastes. This recipe serves 4 people and is great for freezing for later.
Make sure to check out our other Italian Chicken Recipes!
Chicken Piccata Recipe: Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Serving size: 1 chicken cutlet and 2 tablespoons sauce
Fat: 15.3 g
Carbohydrates: 3.7 g
Sodium: 490 mg
Protein: 26.7 g